Saturday 4 June 2011

Adjusting the shock absorbers on your car?

I purchased a car recently with 18%26quot; wheels and the ride is pretty unforgiving. I was also told my the garage who serviced it the shocks were pretty rock hard too.





I want to try and soften things up, hopefully without spending much cash!! Upon looking at my front shocks the other day I noticed 2 dials at the top, which I can only assume is the preload? I was wondering if messing about with this will help, but don%26#039;t want to fiddle and end up bottoming out on every bump in the road!!





If this isn%26#039;t a possibility, would new springs help? I don%26#039;t want to change the wheels unless I have too.





Cheers :-)|||Sorry I though you said adjusting the shock absorbers on your cat. My cat used to adjust his own shock absorbers and as he aged he became really canny and found others ways of jumping down from heights. Not daft those cats you know.





As to you car I have no idea sorry.|||sounds like you have sports shocks so u can adjust the pre load but its trial and error you could remove the shocks replace them with standard and ebay the sports ones springs dont really change the ride just the height|||I don%26#039;t think there are any adjustments you can do to the struts on most cars. Unfortunately with large rims it is going to be a rough ride. The larger the rims, the smaller the cushion of air between the car and the road.|||Some shocks can be adjusted but this purely depends on whay type they are. It sounds like the shocks and springs have been upgraded as well.





If you put in softer springs you run the risk of the arches buffing the tyre sidewalls- you could overcome this by %26quot;lipping%26quot; the arches but this should only be done if you are competent to do so or likewise someone who is.





Hope this helps