Thursday 15 September 2011

My car drives like my foot is on break and accelerator at same time?

Why? It drives like the break pads are touching the rotors but my foot is not on break. It started that this evening. The hand break is pulled down and everything seem fine. But just that feeling like I'm driving with just the rims and no tires. Any help why this maybe happening?



Also I need to know how much it costs to change all four shock absorbers cause it's currently bumpy when I hit small potholes that other cars will just pass with comfort. Does the shocks and struts need change or there is something that can be done about it. Thanks. I'm pretty new with cars. It a 1995 Dodge Avenger ES. I'm thinking of Cancelling my insurance for the next 3months so I can fix everything needed to be fixed on it. Thanks for the help
My car drives like my foot is on break and accelerator at same time?
Might be cheaper to purchase a nother vehicle theses repairs are quite pricy. check it out, before you spend a lot on the dodge.
My car drives like my foot is on break and accelerator at same time?
It sounds like this could be one or more things..

You may have a seized caliper. Does one or more of your wheels have much more brake dust than the others?

You could have a collapsed flex line. Again, look for excessive break dust.

You could have pads worn down to the metal, although this would not attribute to a drag from the breaking system, simply the grind when applying the brakes, therefore I feel it is unlikely.



If your e-brake system is a shoe style system, it could possibly be hanging. Do you decelerate more quickly than normal? If you're driving and let your foot off of the gas and coast, does your speed drop abnormally quickly? If so, you can assume it could be something hanging up. If not, the problem could be somewhere else and we can go from there.



To do all four shocks:

A shop is going to charge you quite a bit for labour, and parts. Call your local jobber, give them your cars details (Year and model, engine) and get a price on four new shocks/struts. Then, you have the choice of paying someone to do it, or supplying parts to the shop and simply pay labour.





Hope this helps.. If I feel I have missed something I'll add it later.
Changing the shocks is an easy fix that shouldn't cost much. The other problem is likely your fuel filter. You give it gas, but it doesn't get it. Sounds clogged to me. One other thing is, it's being choked by a dirty air filter.
Try putting the selector in neutral.Then see if the car can be rocked back and forth at least a little to find if something is bound up preventing it from rolling smoothly.
If it's been as cold where your at as it is here, your brakes could be frozen !