Thursday 15 September 2011

How do I fix wheels rubbing the guard on my Impreza?

Without changing wheels! I have had 17in wheels on my car for well over a year and love them...apart from one small detail. They're too wide! When I have more than one person sitting in the back seat the clearance between the wheel and the guard becomes like 3mm (down from 120mm) and it does some damage. I have rolled the inside of the guards up without any luck. I'm wondering if there is a way to get harder springs/shock absorbers so they won't budge too much with extra weight, sacrificing a smooth ride is OK with me. Any help is appreciated. The car is a 1993 Subaru Impreza that is entirely unmodified apart from the 17in wheels. Thanks
How do I fix wheels rubbing the guard on my Impreza?
Your going to want to get some camber plates so you are able to run some camber in the rear so they tuck inside instead of rubbing on the fender. RCE makes some good ones and they usually do the trick, you will need to get an alignment so they can adjust your car so that the wheels dont rub. Springs wont do much for you since they still have some play but if you upgrade struts and spring that will help stiffen your ride and wont let the rear end go so far down. Coilovers do the same but they are a tad more expensive.